J1 US Visas

What Visa do students  need to go and work in America for the Summer?

The J-1 Summer Work and Travel Programme allows full-time third level students to enter the US on a J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa.
This exchange programme allows you to travel to the USA and work there legally for up to four months  – (for 2010 this must end no later than 30th September 2010).
After your J1 Visa expires you may stay in the US but only as a tourist for a maximum of 30 days.
There is a visa application fee of $131 Us Dollars
There is also  a $35 dollar fee to register on the The Student Exchange and Visitor Information System (SEVIS).

J1 Visa applicants should apply at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, generally in their country of permanent residence.
J1 Visa applicants must be a  post-secondary student in his or her own country currently enrolled in and actively pursuing a degree or a full-time course of study at an accredited academic institution.  Final year students are eligible to take part in this program even though they will have graduated at the time of participation as long as they apply to participate in the program prior to graduation.

Don’t believe anyone who tells you they can help you get a J1 visa. Do not pay money or enter into an agreement with such a person. Self-proclaimed visa “fixers” have no special access to the U.S. government.

The address of the US Embassy in Ireland is 42 Elgin Road,  Ballsbridge, Dublin 4.

You can find out more about US Visas and waiting times at