In Ireland, many employers say they are having difficulty hiring workers with the right skills, and some employers who plan to increase their headcount in the next quarter are struggling.
Larger organisation’s as well as those in the manufacturing and finance sectors are seeing the largest talent shortages.
In 2021 – a Grant Thornton International Business Report surveyed 5,000 mid-market businesses across 29 economies, including Ireland, in the first half of this year.
In 2021 – to help with the skills shortages – the Irish Government announced changes to the employment permits system for workers from outside the European Economic Area (EEA), The main changes include:
- Most construction sector jobs are now eligible for a General Employment Permit
- Quota removed for HGV driver work permits
- 350 General Employment Permits for hospitality managers
- Social Workers eligible for Critical Skills Employment Permit
- Dispensing Opticians eligible for General Employment Permit
- New General Employment Permit quotas for 1,000 Horticulture Operatives, 500 Meat Deboners, 1500 Meat Processors
Here is a list of some of the skills that are in short supply in Ireland.
If you have these skills – you should be able to get a job quite easily in Ireland .
- Analytical chemists
- medical scientists
- Medical laboratory scientists
- Biological scientists and biochemists in manufacturing
- Design, process and quality control/assurance engineers.
- Engineers – (mechanical,electrical,automation,validation)
- Civil Engineers
- Structural Engineers and Site Engineers
Electronics engineers specialising in:
- Chip design, test engineering, or application engineering, or
- Process automation engineering, or
- Power generation, transmission and distribution
- Product/project managers
- IT analysts/engineers
- IT technicians with foreign languages
- Cyber Security Roles
- Web design and development professionals
- Programmers and software development professionals
- Accountants with industry-specific experience (particularly in the financial sector)
- Management consultants and business analysts specialising in big data analytics with skills in IT, data mining, modelling, and advanced maths or related and relevant specialist skills, qualifications or experience.
- Heathcare Assistants
- Radiation therapists
- Vascular technologists/physiologists
- Gastro Intestinal technologists/physiologists
- Roofers, Roof Tilers and Slaters
- Plumbers and Heating and Ventilating Engineers
- Carpenters and Joiners
- Floorers and Wall Tilers
- Painters and Decorators
- Construction and Building Trades Supervisors
- Quantity surveyors
- CNC Programers
- Art Director in 2D or 3D animation
- Location Designer in 2D or 3D animation, with at least one year’s experience in the role
- Character Designer in 2D or 3D animation, with at least one year’s experience in the role
- Prop Designer in 2D or 3D animation, with at least one year’s experience in the role
- Animation Layout Artist in 2D or 3D animation, with at least one year’s experience in the role
- Social Worker
- International marketing experts with required domain knowledge specialising in product strategy development and management with technical and product/service knowledge (pharmaceutical, medical devices, Software B2B, SaaS products)